Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a medical condition characterized by long-term fatigue and other symptoms that limit a person’s ability to carry out ordinary daily activities. Quality of life of persons with CFS can be compromised.
Causes –Biological, genetic, infectious, and psychological mechanisms have been proposed, but the cause is not understood. The fatigue of CFS is not due to ongoing exertion, is not much relieved by rest, and is not due to any other medical condition.
- Psychological stress,
- childhood trauma,
- perfectionist personalities,
- old age,
- lower middle education,
- low physical fitness,
- preexisting psychological illness,
- Allergies are all risk factors for developing chronic fatigue.
Signs & symptoms –Diagnosis is based on a person’s signs and symptoms. Mostly the onset is gradual. Signs & symptoms includes following.
- A new onset (not lifelong) of severe fatigue for six consecutive months or greater duration which is unrelated to exertion, is not substantially relieved by rest, and is not a result of other medical conditions.
- The fatigue causes a significant reduction of previous activity levels.
- Four or more of the following symptoms that concurrently last six months or longer:
- impaired memory or concentration
- post-exertion malaise, where physical or mental exertions bring on “extreme, prolonged exhaustion and sickness”
- unrefreshing sleep
- muscle pain (myalgia)
- pain in multiple joints (arthralgia)
- headaches of a new kind or greater severity
- sore throat, frequent or recurring
- tender lymph nodes (cervical or axillary)
Other common symptoms include:
- brain fog (feeling like one is in a mental fog)
- difficulty maintaining an upright position, dizziness, balance problems or fainting
- allergies or sensitivities to foods, odors, chemicals, medications, or noise
- irritable bowel syndrome-like symptoms such as bloating, stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea and nausea
- chills and night sweats
- visual disturbances (sensitivity to light, blurring, eye pain)
- depression or mood problems (irritability, mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks)
Management – it includes following.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Exercise therapy
Homoeopathic treatment –Here, below there are given some top ranked homoeopathic medicines for fatigue syndrome. But one should consult a homoeopathic physician for accurate selection of medicine and treatment.
- Arsenic Album — for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with desire to lie down all the time due to excessive fatigue. Standing, walking and the slightest exertion result in fatigue and lying down provides some relief to the person. Even a little exertion leads to utmost lack of strength and weakness. Persons also hesitate and have fear exerting because they anticipate exhaustion as a result. Apart from disabling fatigue, anxiety and fear may also show its presence in extreme levels.
- Kali Phos — for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with extreme tiredness and weak memory, where the slightest mental or physical exertion leads to extreme fatigue. For such persons, even a little work seems to be a very huge task. This is because of the consequent lethargic and fatigue condition it produces. Extreme prostration, weakness and tired feeling ensue from a little exertion. The person feels worn out as if all the energy has been drained out. Apart from lassitude and exhaustion, the person also complains of a weak memory. Forgetfulness accompanies a weak and impaired memory. Forgetfulness is noticeable while speaking or writing. Stressed mind and worries accompanying Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are also effectively cured by Kali Phos.
- Picric Acid — for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with memory loss, when mental debility with extremely weak memory advancing to complete loss is the main symptom of Chronic Fatigue Symptom. The person is not capable of thinking of or indulging in any kind of mental exertion. Studying or reading a little result in extreme fatigue. Headache also accompanies mental fatigue. Along with mental fatigue, muscle weakness and heaviness in whole body may also be present.
- Gelsemium — for Fatigue Syndrome with drowsiness and muscle pain, for extreme drowsiness accompanying fatigue. The person complains of sleepiness throughout the day with disabling fatigue. Along with drowsiness and fatigue, heaviness in head may also be felt. A few persons experience dizziness and vertigo due to extreme fatigue and a tired feeling. Muscle weakness and pain also show their impact in such patients. The muscle pain is mostly present in neck, shoulders, back, hips and legs. The patient may also experience trembling and weakness in limbs.
- Phosphoric Acid and Ignatia — for Fatigue Syndrome with depression. Both Phosphoric Acid and Ignatia are prominent remedies to deal with Chronic Fatigue Symptom cases where grief and depression predominate. Phosphoric Acid is a Homeopathic remedy of great help when mental and physical weakness with dullness and impaired memory are marked symptoms. The person seems confused and has difficulty in comprehending. Memory weakness is extreme and a person is unable to find the exact words while writing or talking Ignatia is best suited for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome when a depressed state of mind, with weeping spells and changeable moods, is noticed with fatigue.
- Sarcolacticum Acidum — for Fatigue Syndrome with feeling of weakness in morning. Such persons wake up feeling exhausted in the morning and the fatigue continues throughout the day. The whole body feels powerless. Along with a tired feeling, there is also muscle weakness. The person needing Sarcolacticum Acidum usually complains of tiredness and weariness from doing simple activities. Even writing on a small piece of paper or going up and down the stairs seems to drain out all the bodily energy and leaves the person highly exhausted. The person also has sleeplessness at night.
- Onosmodium — for Fatigue Syndrome with head and eye complaints, person who have head or vision complaints along with exhaustion. The eye complaints may be of varying characters, including eye pain or blurring of vision, or straining and weakness of eyes. The head complaints may be described as heaviness or pain in head. The headache may be noted in front, back or sides of head. Confusion, decreased concentrating power and memory weakness also come under the sphere for this Homeopathic medicine use. Along with head or eye complaints, the foremost symptom of extreme weariness and tiredness is always present.
- Cinchona officinalis – for fatigue syndrome due to loss of vital fluids. Used in case of loss of vital fluids like – in anemia with excessive fatigue, weakness, tiredness. In women, leucorrhoea with extreme prostration, heavy menstrual loss – metrorrhagia, menorrhagia followed by extreme weakness and fatigue. Weakness, prostration, fatigue are common general symptoms of this medicine.
Showing all 3 results