Hemorrhoids , also called piles , are vascular structures in the anal canal. In their normal state, they are cushions that help with stool control. They become a disease when swollen or inflamed; the unqualified term “hemorrhoid” is often used to refer to the disease.
Types & Signs & symptoms of hemorrhoids–The signs & symptoms of hemorrhoids depend on the type present.
- Internal hemorrhoids — are usually present with painless, bright red rectal bleeding when defecating. Other symptoms may include mucous discharge , a perianal mass if they prolapsed through the anus , itchiness , and fecal incontinence . Internal hemorrhoids are usually only painful if they become thrombosed or necrotic .
- External hemorrhoids — often result in pain and swelling in the area of the anus . If bleeding occurs it is usually darker . Symptoms frequently get better after a few days. A skin tag may remain after the healing of an external hemorrhoid. Irritation and itching of the skin around anus may be present.
- Piles that are non bleeding type, are also called as blind piles/hemorrhoids.
The exact cause of hemorrhoids remains unknown; a number of factors which increase pressure in the abdomen are believed to be involved. This may include constipation, diarrhea, and sitting on the toilet for a long time. Hemorrhoids are also more common during pregnancy.
Diagnosis — It is made by looking at the area. Many people incorrectly refer to any symptom occurring around the anal area as “hemorrhoids” and serious causes of the symptoms should be ruled out.
Colonoscopy sigmoidoscopy is reasonable to confirm the diagnosis and rule out more serious causes.
Treatment — Often, no specific treatment is needed. Initial measures consist of –
- Increasing fiber intake,
- Drinking fluids to maintain hydration,
- NSAIDs to help with pain,
- Sitz baths
- Medicated creams may be applied to the area, but their effectiveness is poor.
A number of minor procedures may be performed if symptoms are severe or do not improve with conservative management.
Surgery is reserved for those who fail to improve following these measures.
Homoeopathic treatment –There are very effective medicines available in homoeopathy for piles/hemorrhoids. Some top ranked medicines are given below which are used in case of hemorrhoids/piles. But professional consultation of homoeopathic physician is needed must in each case for accurate selection of medicine according to individuality of patient.
- Hamamelis – for Piles that bleed. In homeopathy, Hamamelis is a top grade remedy for venous congestions and bleeding tendencies. It is very effective in controlling hemorrhages. Piles that bleed profusely require Hamamelis. Burning and soreness in the rectum may appear with bleeding. Few may also complain of a backache with bleeding piles. Pain or rawness at anus is also marked. Extreme weakness also accompanies bleeding piles.
- Ratanhia – for piles with long lasting burning and pain after stool . The character of Pain is ‘as if broken glass pieces are placed in the rectum.’ A knife like stabbing pain also indicates the use of Homeopathic medicine Ratanhia.
- Aesculus – for piles with a backache. Severe, sharp, shooting lower backache in the lumbosacral region with hemorrhoids is sign for Aesculus to be used. Aesculus is mainly a remedy for blind piles. Piles appear purple, painful, burning with rawness, soreness, and itching. The stool is also constipated and is hard, dry and difficult to expel. Rectum feels full of small sticks.
- Sensation of sharp sticks in the rectum. Sense of construction. Painful, bleeding piles or blind piles. Hemorrhoids with most obstinate constipation. Constipation and piles during pregnancy-alternating with diarrhea.
- Aloe Socotrina – for Protruding Piles . Piles appear blue like bunch of grapes at anal verge. They are very tender, sore and painful. Burning at anus also accompanies. Intense itching may also appear. Relief from cold applications in piles symptoms is also a guiding feature to use Aloe. A history of long-standing diarrhea may be present in persons needing Aloe in hemorrhoid complaint.
- Nux Vomica – For Piles accompanied with constipation in patient with sedentary life style. Have piles with frequent- ineffectual urging for stool but passes little stool at a time. The urge for stool is renewed shortly after one has defecated. The stool is always unsatisfactory. Nux Vomica is highly beneficial for blind piles. Blind piles with pressure/sticking/burning/shooting pains calls for use of Nux Vomica. Patients with sedentary habits developing piles with constipation can be helped by Nux Vomica.
Showing all 4 results