The most common type of ear infection is called otitis media. It is caused by swelling and infection of the middle ear. The middle ear is located just behind the eardrum.
An acute ear infection starts over a short period and is painful. Ear infections that last a long time or come and go are called chronic ear infections.
Causes –Ear infections are common in infants and children than in adults because the Eustachian tubes are easily clogged. Anything that causes the Eustachian tubes to become swollen or blocked makes more fluid buildup in the middle ear behind the eardrum. Some causes are:
- Colds and sinus infections
- Excess mucus and saliva produced during teething
- Infected or overgrown adenoids (lymph tissue in the upper part of the throat)
- Tobacco smoke
- Ear infections are also more likely in children who spend a lot of time drinking from a Sippy cup or bottle while lying on their back. Getting water in the ears will not cause an acute ear infection, unless the eardrum has a hole in it.
- It includes:
- Changes in altitude or climate
- Cold weather
- Exposure to smoke
- Family history of ear infections
- Not being breastfed
- Pacifier use
- Recent ear infection
Symptoms — In infants, often the main sign of an ear infection is –
- acting irritable
- crying that cannot be soothed
- Trouble sleeping.
- Symptoms in adults include: — Ear pain or earache, Fullness in the ear, Feeling of general illness, Hearing loss in the affected ear, earache sometimes along with gastric complaints Vomiting, Diarrhea.
>The ear infection may start shortly after a cold. Sudden drainage of yellow or green fluid from the ear may mean the eardrum has ruptured.
Examination –By using otoscope physician may find condition of infection in middle ear and can find out following -:
- Areas of dullness or redness or inflammation.
- Air bubbles or fluid behind the eardrum
- Bloody fluid or pus inside the middle ear
- A hole (perforation) in the eardrum
- Hearing test – if the person has a history of repeated ear infections recently.
Treatment –Sometimes earache / ear infection may go away with only pain relief medicine.
- Apply a warm cloth or warm water bottle to the affected ear.
- Pain relief drops for ears.
- Medicines such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain or fever.
- Antibiotics – when bacterial infection present / in sever conditions / in infants.
- Surgery – If an infection does not go away with the usual medical treatment, or if a child has many ear infections over a short period of time, the provider may recommend ear tubes insertion.
- Belladonna — for tearing earache & ear infection with fever. Throbbing and tearing pain. Used for ear pain arising from acute inflammation of the middle ear (Otitis Media). Very deep-rooted pain. High fever may also accompany earache. Throat infection with pain in throat radiating to the ear is also best treated with Belladonna.
- Verbascum Thapsus — for ear pain of nerve origin. It is very beneficial for the ear ache that is part of the facial pain of nerve origin (Trigeminal Neuralgia). The pain is more pronounced on the left side and gets worse with the slightest of movement. The ear is always dry within. Homeopathic medicine Verbascum Thapsus is popularly known as Mullein Oil and can also be administered as ear drops on the affected side of ear along with internal usage
- Chamomilla — for relief from severe earache. Acts as pain reliever when the earache is so acute that the patient feels like he or she is going mad. Oversensitivity to pain. Ear ache with extreme mental agitation is, thus, best treated with Chamomilla. The pain may be worse in cold air or at night. Chamomilla can also be given to children who turn irritable due to earache and who get relief if they are carried.
- Pulsatilla — for pain with thick discharge from ear. The patient may experience hardness of hearing with ear pain. The ear feels heavy and stuffed up. Most of the times, the discharge is green in color and is of a non-irritating nature. Open air may provide relief from earache.
- Homeopathic Medicines for earache with pus-like discharge — In this condition the top two homeopathic medicines for ear pain are Hepar Sul and Psorinum. Hepar Sulph is suited to those, suffering from ear pain with pus-like discharge from the ear. Earache due to middle ear infection. The person cannot bear the ear to be touched even slightly as it worsens the pain. Fever with chill may present along with earache. Earaches worse by the slightest exposure to cold air. Psorinum is indicated when discharges are very fetid in odor.
- Homeopathic Medicines for earache due to middle ear infection — When middle ear is affected (otitis media), the top homeopathic remedies for ear pain are Belladonna, Hepar Sul and Pulsatilla. Earache due to middle ear infection may be accompanied by impaired hearing, fever and discharge (pus) from ear. Belladonna is a useful for ear pain in the very beginning stage of ear infection. Belladonna can be taken when the earache of severe throbbing nature along with high fever. The body feels extremely hot. Hepar Sulph is useful for earache where pain in ear is accompanied by pus-like offensive discharge from the ear. This usually occurs in the ear infection with advanced stages. Fever with chill may be present with earache. The ear is very sensitive to touch & cold air. Pulsatilla is useful in earache with thick, greenish discharge from the ear oozes out, find relief in open air, worse at Night.
- Arnica – for earache following injury. Arnica is the Homeopathic medicine for ear pain that follows an injury. The injury may be caused by any blow or while clearing the ear with ear buds.
- Homeopathic Medicines for ear pain due to throat infection –-The top two Homeopathic medicines for ear pain with throat infection are Belladonna and Phytolacca. Belladonna is for pain in throat that extends to the ear. The earache is throbbing and intensive in nature. High fever with extreme heat may accompany earache. Lachesis is preferred when the earache is left-sided. Pain in throat extends to the left ear. Swallowing of food may worsen the pain. Phytolacca, on the other hand, for ear pain on the right side. Phytollaca thus indicated when the throat pain radiates to the right ear. The pain may be shooting in nature. Here, too, swallowing of food worsens the pain in the ear.
- Homeopathic Medicines for ear pain due to dental problems — The top two homeopathic Medicines for ear pain due to dental problem are Plantago and Merc Sol. Plantago is one of the best medicines for earache associated with toothache. Plantago can be used by all those persons in whom the pain in teeth extends to the ear. Noise may worse the earache and toothache. Merc Sol is also very effective remedy when the earache is due to dental troubles. Earache is mainly worse at night. Along with earache, yellow or blood-tinged discharge may come out of the ear. The patient may also narrate increased salivation from mouth.
Showing the single result