Diabetes mellitus (DM), commonly referred to as diabetes, is a group of metabolic diseases in which there are high blood sugar levels over a prolonged period.
Symptoms — of high blood sugar include
- Increased / frequent urination (polyuria)
- increased thirst (polydipsia)
- Increased hunger (polyphagia)
- Other signs and symptoms may indicate onset of diabetes, they are blurry vision, headache, fatigue, slow healing of cuts, and itchy skin. Prolonged high blood glucose can cause glucose absorption in the lens of the eye, which leads to changes in its shape, resulting in vision changes. A number of skin rashes that can occur in diabetes are collectively known as diabetic dermadromes.
Complications — If left untreated, diabetes can cause many complications.
- Acute complications can include diabetic ketoacidosis, nonketotic hyperosmolar coma, or death.
- Serious long-term complications include heart disease, stroke, chronic kidney failure, foot ulcers, and damage to the eyes.
- Damage to blood vessels. Diabetes doubles the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Damage to the eyes, known as diabetic retinopathy, is caused by damage to the blood vessels in the retina of the eye, and can result in gradual vision loss and blindness.
- Damage to the kidneys, known as diabetic nephropathy, can lead to tissue scarring, urine protein loss, and eventually chronic kidney disease, sometimes requiring dialysis or kidney transplant.
- Damage to the nerves of the body, known as diabetic neuropathy, is the most common complication of diabetes. The symptoms can include numbness, tingling, pain, and altered pain sensation, which can lead to damage to the skin.
- Diabetes-related foot problems (such as diabetic foot ulcers) may occur, and can be difficult to treat, occasionally requiring amputation.
- Additionally, proximal diabetic neuropathy causes painful muscle wasting and weakness.
>Diabetes is due to either the pancreas not producing enough insulin or the cells of the body not responding properly to the insulin produced.
Types —There are three main types of diabetes mellitus:
- Type 1 DM results from the pancreas’s failure to produce enough insulin. This form was previously referred to as “insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus” (IDDM) or “juvenile diabetes”. The cause is unknown
- Type 2 DM begins with insulin resistance, a condition in which cells fail to respond to insulin properly. As the disease progresses a lack of insulin may also develop. This form was previously referred to as “non insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus” (NIDDM) or “adult-onset diabetes”. The most common cause is excessive body weight and not enough exercise.
- Gestational diabetes is the third main form and occurs when pregnant women without a previous history of diabetes develop high sugar levels.
Prevention and treatment – includes
- Maintaining a healthy diet,
- Regular physical exercise,
- a normal body weight,
- Avoiding use of tobacco.
- Control of blood pressure and maintaining proper foot care are important for people with the disease.
- Type 1 DM must be managed with insulin injections.
- Type 2 DM may be treated with medications with or without insulin. Insulin and some oral medications can cause low blood sugar. Weight loss surgery in those with obesity is sometimes an effective measure in those with type 2 DM.
- Gestational diabetes usually resolves after the birth of the baby.
- Abroma Augusta – for Diabetes with loss of flesh and weakness. Patients who are losing flesh and suffer from extreme weakness due to Diabetes Mellitus. Increased thirst with dryness of mouth, increased appetite and the urination is very frequent day and night. Excessive weakness is felt after urination. It helps in treating sleeplessness in a person with Diabetes, skin complaints like boils and carbuncles. Burning sensation in the whole body is a prominent general symptom that can be found in persons requiring Abroma Augusta.
- Phosphorus – for Diabetes with Weakness in Vision. Phosphorus is indicated on the basis of complete constitutional symptoms. There is burning sensation with desires to drink icy cold water. Along with burning there is weakness of vision and can be given for preventing complications of diabetes according to patient’s constitution.
- Syzygium Jambolanum – for reducing sugar levels. It acts promptly and efficiently in decreasing the sugar levels. Excessive thirst and excessive urination are always present in the patient. Homeopathic medicine Syzygium Jambolanum also gives wonderful results in treatment of long-standing ulcers in a diabetic patient.
- Phosphoric Acid – for Diabetes with extreme weakness. Phosphoric Acid is an excellent remedy for extreme weakness, either mental or physical, in a diabetic patient. Such patients feel exhausted all the time. They have a weak memory and are forgetful. Some sort of history of grief may be found in patients requiring this medicine. For numbness of feet in patients of Diabetes. Phosphoric Acid is the best Homeopathic medicine.
- Gymnema Sylvestre – for Diabetes Mellitus with weight loss. Suited to those who are losing weight with weakness and exhaustion. In such patients, this Homeopathic medicine works as a tonic resulting in improvement of overall health. Patient puts on weight and feels energetic.
- Homeopathic medicines for Diabetic Retinopathy (damage to eyes due to Diabetes) are Phosphorus, Arnica, Belladona and Lachesis, equally good remedies to deal with eye complaints in diabetic patients.
- Homeopathic medicines for Diabetic Nephropathy (kidney damage due to Diabetes) are Lycopodium, Arsenic Album and Serum Anguillae. Homeopathy offers a supportive role only in this condition and that too in early stages.
- Homeopathic medicines for Diabetic Neuropathy (nerve complaints like numbness in hands and feet due to diabetes) are Phosphoric Acid, Sulphur and Helonias considered the best.
- Homeopathic medicines for skin ulcers in diabetic patients. The diabetic skin ulcers are mostly formed on the feet. Syzygium Jambolanum and Secale Cornutum are excellent remedies to deal with ulcers in diabetic patients.
- Homeopathic medicines for constipation in diabetic patients. For treating constipation in diabetic patients, Homeopathic medicines, Lac Defloratum and Natrum Sulph top the list.
- Homeopathic medicines for weak memory in diabetic patients. To improve the weak memory in patients of Diabetes, Kali Phos, Nux Vom and Phosphoric Acid are the Homeopathic medicines of great help.
Showing all 8 results