Colitis is defined as inflammation of the colon. The mucosal layer of the colon is inflamed and is responsible for symptoms of colitis. It can be broadly classified in acute colitis that is usually self limiting and chronic which is continuous or recurrent.
Causes of colitis
- Bowel infection with shigella, e.coli, salmonella etc
- Autoimmune reaction in disease like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- Ischemia of colon in volvulus and incarcerated hernia
- Engorgement of collagen or lymphocytes
- Chemicals – effect of enema
Sign and symptoms of colitis –it includes
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Pain in rectum
- Blood and mucus in stool
- Fullness of abdomen
- Weight loss
Diagnosis of Colitis — Diagnosis mainly include
- History of onset, duration
- Physical examination
- Complete blood count
- Stool tests
- Computed tomography
- Abdominal X- ray
Treatment of Colitis — depends upon the cause, and often is focused on symptom relief, supportive care, and maintaining adequate hydration and pain control. Antibiotics may be prescribed to treat infectious causes of colitis. Some bacterial infections that cause colitis resolve without any antibiotic treatment.
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT –The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat colitis but to remove its underlying cause. There are several medicines available for colitis treatment that can be selected on the basis of patient’s individuality (cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the complaints.) For proper treatment, the patient should consult a homeopathic physician. Some useful medicines are given below for the treatment of colitis: Sulphur, Magnesia Carb, China Off, Lachesis, Selenium, Thuja, Belladonna, Colchicum and many other medicines
- Merc. Cor – One of the best Homeopathic Medicines for Ulcerative Colitis when there is marked Tenesmus. The major symptoms that indicate the use of Merc Cor are loose stool with blood, mucus and tenesmus. Person has a constant urge to pass stool. He feels persistent pressing and straining in rectum. No satisfaction follows after stool evacuation. This feeling is typically called as a ‘never get done feeling’. For Merc Cor to be used symptoms of cutting, colicky abdominal pain and burning in rectum can also be present.
- Merc Sol – Homeopathic Medicine for Ulcerative Colitis with Intense Bleeding The symptoms presented by person needing Merc Sol are very similar to Merc Cor including diarrhea, passage of blood/mucus from rectum and tenesmus. But when it comes to making a choice between these two medicines, Merc Sol is indicated when intense bleeding from rectum over shadows other symptoms. Along with bleeding, stool may or may not be loose. The color of stool may vary from yellow, green, grayish white to brown. Corrosive burning at the anus may also appear. Along with above symptoms chilliness, shivering and exhaustion may also be present.
- Nux Vomica – One of the Most Used Homeopathic Medicines for Ulcerative Colitis with Ineffectual Urging for Stool. Patient passes little scanty stool at very frequent intervals. Stool is always unsatisfactory. There is feeling of incomplete bowel evacuation. Another essential symptom guiding use of Nux Vomica is abdomen pain before passing stool. Nux Vomica can also be considered for acute aggravation of symptoms in ulcerative colitis from alcohol intake, coffee or spicy food
- Phosphorus – One of the Top Homeopathic Medicines for Ulcerative Colitis when there is copious diarrhea. There is sudden, gushing and forcible passage of stool. As soon as anything is eaten the urge for stool appears. Urgency of stool is also marked. Bleeding with stool is also present. Blood is mainly bright red in color. Mucus especially green colored may also be passed with stool. Debility and weakness appear predominantly from copious diarrhea.
- Colchicum – Homeopathic Medicine for Ulcerative Colitis When Stool Contains large amounts of Mucus. The mucus is transparent and jelly like. White shred like particles in large quantity may also appear in stool. Pain in rectum and tenesmus may also accompany stool. Colchicum is also highly suitable when joint pains are present in ulcerative colitis.
- Aloe Socotrina – Effective Homeopathic medicine for ulcerative colitis with marked urgency to pass stool..The urgency to pass stool is markedly present in the morning; also soon after eating or drinking. There is constant bearing down in the rectum. Burning in the anus and rectum may also be intense. Another characteristic feature for use of Aloe Socotrina is passage of jelly-like mucus in stool.
- Nitric Acid – Homeopathic medicine for ulcerative colitis with intense pain in rectum on passing stool. The pain may be tearing or cutting in nature. It may continue for hours after stool is passed. Profuse, bright red bleeding may be noticed along with stool in such cases.
Showing the single result