Blood pressure (BP) is the pressure of circulating blood on the walls of blood vessels.
Your blood pressure naturally goes up and down all the time, adjusting to your heart’s needs depending on what you are doing. High blood pressure is when your blood pressure is persistently higher than normal.
A blood pressure reading under 120/80mmHg is considered optimal. Readings over 120/80mmHg and up to 139/89mmHg are in the normal to high normal range.
Blood pressure that’s high over a long time is one of the main risk factors for heart disease. As you get older, the chances of having persistently high blood pressure increases.
It’s very important to get your blood pressure checked regularly, and if it’s persistently high it needs to be controlled. Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to a heart attack or stroke. It may also affect your kidneys.
The medical name for high blood pressure over a long period of time is hypertension.
Causes — The exact causes of high blood pressure are often not clear. Your blood pressure may be strongly influenced by:
- family history
- eating patterns, including salty foods
- alcohol intake
- Low physical activity
- Some medicines can also raise blood pressure.
Symptoms — You can’t feel high blood pressure. There are usually no warning signs, so you can have it and not know. That’s why it’s important to get it checked.
Diagnosis — The best way to know if you have high blood pressure is to have your blood pressure checked by your doctor or health practitioner.
They will take your blood pressure using an inflatable bag (cuff) that goes around your arm. It’s joined to a device that measures the pressure which is called sphygmomanometer
Complications–complication from high blood pressure are as follow.
– vision changes
– angina-like chest pain (crushing chest pain)
– heart failure
– blood in urine
– irregular heartbeat
– ear noise or buzzing
- Management for controlling high blood pressure –If you have high blood pressure, talk to your doctor about the best way to control it.
- Lifestyle changes – avoid salty food, getting more exercise.
- Medicine – Many people also need medicine to control their high blood pressure. Your doctor will tell you if you need medicine, and monitor its effects. Blood pressure medicines don’t cure high blood pressure, but they help to control it. You have to keep taking the medicines regularly, often for the rest of your life. Don’t stop taking your medicine without talking to your doctor first.
- Monitoring your blood pressure – Your doctor may want you to monitor your blood pressure at home, for proper management.
Homoeopathic medicines – Following homoeopathic medicines are very helpful in treatment of hypertension, though one should consult homoeopathic physician for proper management.
1.Belladonna– In cases where headaches are a frequent accompaniment of the condition, Belladonna is one of the best homeopathic medicines for high blood pressure. The pain is in the temporal region and feels like a throbbing sensation. There may be heat and redness of the face. Throbbing pain and burning sensations are also frequent. Suddenness of the symptoms is another good indication.. Vertigo is also commonly seen. He cannot tolerate even the slightest touch or motion or jerk.
2. Nux Vomica – When the problem has resulted from over indulgence in different sorts of passions and high life. The patient is usually fond of tea, coffee, liquor, spicy and fried food. He is a chilly patient and gets angered easily. The patient is usually thin, active, nervous and irritable. It is most suitable for the aggressive males who are go getters and achievers. There may be constipation also. Morning is the worse time for him as all symptoms seem to get aggravated in the morning.
3. Natrum Mur – In patients, who has excessive intake of salt and salty food or products, Natrum Mur is one of the best homeopathic medicines for high blood pressure. The patient is usually fond of salty things, fried things, pickles and sour things. There may be dryness of the mouth and increased thirst. Dropsy(swelling) or edemas are a common accompaniment of the trouble. The face or the eyes may be puffy. The tongue is usually coated asymmetrically. The patient is usually anemic and has palpitations.
4. Glonoine– When the face is flushed red and there is congestion of the blood to the head and face, Glonoine is one of the best homeopathic remedies for high blood pressure. There is throbbing headache. There is great lassitude and the patient does not feel like working. The patient is irritable and gets excited at the least opposition. The head seems heavy still he is unable to lay it on the pillow. He cannot bear any heat around the head. The head feels big and enlarged. The headache and other symptoms are excited by exposure to sun and may even see some correlation with the rising and setting of the sun.
5. Rauwolfia– Rauwolfia, the homeopathic medicine for high BP is made from the famous herb ‘Sarpagandha’. It is used as a stock medicine when there are no other indications. There is irritation of the nervous system. This is most effective in the mother tincture form. A word of caution is necessary here as it not to be given to pregnant women.
Showing all 4 results