Acidity is a term used for a set of symptoms caused by excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach. The stomach normally secretes hydrochloric acid which is required for the breakdown and digestion of food we eat.
–Our stomach produces gastric acids for digestion. But, their corrosive effects are neutralized by the production of natural bicarbonate and prostaglandins secreted in the mucous lining. When the production of these chemicals is interrupted then it leads to damaged stomach lining which causes acidity.
- Lack of physical activity,
- Irregularity in eating
- Consumption of spicy and non-vegetarian foods
- Smoking and alcohol
- Stomach ailments like peptic ulcers, gastro esophageal, stomach tumors, etc.
- Medications like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Signs & Symptoms
- Burning in the stomach
- Burning in the throat
- Gastric inflammation
- Gastric ulcer
- Sour taste
- Avoid so much oily & spicy food.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Eat small, regular meal.
- Take your dinner few hours before sleeping.
- Chew tulsi leaves, cloves, saunf, jeera, take cold milk, etc.
- Avoid medications like NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and steroids
- Reduce stress by doing yoga.
Treatment–Usually, acidity is treated with the help of,
- Antacids -which contain either magnesium or calcium or aluminium containing compounds. These antacids neutralize the excess acid in the stomach thus providing relief from the symptoms.
- Histamine blocking agents (H2 receptor blockers) such as cimetidine, ranitidine,
- Proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole and lansoprazole can also be prescribed by your physician.
- In rare cases, surgery (vagotomy) is performed to reduce the acid sensation.
In homeopathy there are very good medicines which helps in curing acidity. Some highly recommended homeopathic medicines for acidity are,
- Carbo Veg is the best homeopathic medicine for acidity with gas and a bloated abdomen. Even in the case of belching, homeopathic medicines provide relief.
- Natrum Phos , is highly useful for acidity with sour belching, sour water brash and sour vomiting.
- Robinia , is beneficial for heartburn with belching and water brash of an intensely acrid, bitter character.
- Iris Versicolor, the indicating feature is a burning sensation in the whole alimentary tract.
- Nux Vomica. is recommended for acidity resulting from eating heavy/spicy food, coffee, or alcohol. Iris Versicolor and Nux Vomica are also suggested for headache with acidity.
Showing all 9 results